SAC has planned a series of meetings for farmers interested in improving the standard of animal welfare.
Meetings on animal welfare improvements
In May they must make choices as they fill out their IACS claim form for support payments. Those choices include the so-called Land Management Options or LMO’s, of which option 23 is the Animal Welfare Management Programme, now entering its second year.
The AWMP is a non competitive scheme offering producers incentives to address problems with their livestock enterprises. There are ten choices from which they can select three. These can include the control of diseases like BVD and Johne’s or pneumonia. This year many producers who are completing the original Animal Health and Welfare Programme, started under the previous Government, will be eligible for the new scheme, as will those who have, so far, not joined at all.
The series of evening meetings planned by SAC, in conjunction with NFU Scotland and local veterinary practices, is designed to offer advice and information on the various selections and their benefits. There will be additional information about other industry livestock initiatives and bluetongue vaccines. All the meetings will start at 7.30 pm.
- Royal Hotel, Forfar: 22nd February
- Lanark Market: 23rd February
- Thistle Hotel, Inverness: 24th February
- Ayre Hotel, Kirkwall, Orkney: 25th February
- Lerwick Hotel, Shetland: 26th February
- Ring 2, Thainstone Mart: 8th March
- Macleod Suite, Dunblane Hydro: 9th March
- Lomond Hills Hotel, Freuchie, Fife: 10th March
- Gannochy Suite, Dewars Ice Rink, Perth: 11th March
- The Shinty Club Portree, Skye: 15th March
- SAMS Dunstaffnage,Oban plus video conf. to Campbeltown & Lochgilphead: 16th March
- Cairndale Hotel, Dumfries: 17th March
- Western House Hotel at Ayr Racecourse, Ayr: 18th March
- Cross Keys Hotel, Kelso: 24th March
Those interested in attending should contact Linsay Eaglesham, SAC Veterinary Services, T 0131 5353 3131.
New Veterinary Pharmacy Courses at Harper Adams
New Sheep Fluke and Worm Drench from Pfizer Animal Health
Producers Hungry For Nutrition Guide